Friday, July 3, 2015

Flashback Friday #1 - Forgotten work

Recently I managed to re-access my previous defunct blog and, as often happens, ran across some old forgotten work. Surprisingly, it wasn't bad. Like many artists I have a pretty brutal opinion of my own work. Very rarely can I look back without cringing--even at things made weeks ago.

Considering this stuff is from the mid 00's, I'm surprised at my own reaction. Maybe because I forgot this existed? Or maybe because I can identify what I was learning then, and can appreciate the effort it took at the time. Or maybe I grew up a little and I'm willing to cut myself some slack.


What I liked about this batch is the loose story that grew around it. I've since forgotten the details, but enough of the thematic remains to get the general gist of the world I was trying to create.


I liked the grunge and desperation, the clockwork monstrosities and the dim promise of hope... but it never did evolve past a basic pretence to make some art.



Will I ever get back to this world? In all likelihood no. Like with any idea, it was quickly supplanted by something else. Which was then kicked out by another idea and another...

Often, when I have just the germs of an imperfect idea, I'll pick it up again years later, merge it with others, modify it, pull it apart and put it back together. If I'm lucky, it survives and is added to the backlog that sits in my subconscious ( and on my Trello ). But for each of those, there are dozens more that just fade away.

All those lost stories are kind of sad--so much time and potential wasted right? Wrong. Or at least I feel so. Any artist will tell you that even the pieces they discard have served to teach them something, and by the same logic, stories and themes that don't make the cut still served to develop your thought process along the way.

Besides--isn't it great to know that there are always more ideas? I know many creatives who hold onto their ideas, fearful they'll be stolen or that they won't be able to do them justice.

That's the real waste.

Get it done, get it out there--then get over it and make something else. It will be better. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment